Personal information is information that may identify you or by which your identity may be reasonably determined. Such personal information may include your name, address, other contact details, your date of birth, and mobile number.
Why does Hero Shopper need your Personal Information?
Hero Shopper will only ask for personal information relevant to our business relationship with you. Hero Shopper will tell you the main reasons for asking for your personal information when Hero Shopper seeks it from you. If you do not provide some personal information, Hero Shopper may not be able to provide you with the products or services you want or expect.
The main reasons why Hero Shopper will seek personal information from you are:
- to check your eligibility for or to provide you with financial products or services;
- to provide you with information relevant to the services and offers you want :
- to assist you with your enquiries or concerns;
- to verify your identity and undertake customer due diligence;
- for any other purpose required or authorised by law.
Hero Shopper may also ask for your personal information because Hero Shopper is obliged to collect it for legal purposes under the Financial Transaction Reports Act 1988 and the new Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006. These Acts require us to ask you for information to check your identity (for instance, by referring to your passport, birth certificate or driver’s licence). Hero Shopper will not use any information collected under these Acts for any other purpose.
How does Hero Shopper collect information?
Hero Shopper collects most personal information directly from you. Hero Shopper may do this when you apply, deal with us over the telephone, send us a letter, visit our website or if Hero Shopper contacts you.
How does Hero Shopper store your personal information?
Hero Shopper stores your personal information in a number of ways including:
- in computer systems or databases;
- in hard copy or paper files
How does Hero Shopper protect personal information?
Hero Shopper takes all reasonable precautions to protect your personal information, whether it is stored in hard copy or electronic form from loss, unauthorised access, modification and unauthorised disclosure. Your personal information is only accessible by you and by those who are authorised to access it. Our employees and third parties that Hero Shopper deals with are bound by confidentiality obligations.
Hard copy documents are secured on our premises and at archive sites by locks and security systems. Whenever possible, hard copy documents provided by you are returned to you and not kept on our premises.
Electronic data is protected by up-to-date computer and network security systems with appropriate firewalls, encryption technology, virus software and access passwords.
Hero Shopper also seeks to ensure that confidential face-to-face discussions between you and us occur in a secure environment.
Depending on any legal obligations to retain your personal information for a certain period of time, if Hero Shopper does not require your personal information, Hero Shopper will take reasonable steps to destroy it in a secure manner or by removing identifying features from it.
Does Hero Shopper ever disclose your information to third parties?
Hero Shopper may disclose your personal information to third parties where they help us with our business, or you request us or consent to do so. Where your personal information is disclosed to third parties, Hero Shopper will seek to ensure that the information is held, used or disclosed consistently with the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act 1988.
Types of third parties include:
- parties involved in providing, managing or administering Hero Shopper products or services such as third party suppliers, printers, postal services, email and SMS delivery providers, authorised representatives and our legal, tax, audit and accountancy advisers;
- parties maintaining, reviewing and developing our business systems, procedures and infrastructure including testing or upgrading our computer systems
- parties involved in the payments system including financial institutions, merchants and payment organisations.
Hero Shopper may also disclose your personal information to third parties in circumstances where:
- Hero Shopper must fulfil our legal obligations (for example, disclosure to Australian (and international) enforcement bodies such as the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC), Centrelink or the Courts);
- it can be reasonably inferred from the circumstances that you consent to your personal information being disclosed to a third party.
Hero Shopper may also send your personal information outside Australia where, for example:
- you have requested or consented that Hero Shopper sends your personal information;
- Hero Shopper outsources a function or service to an overseas contractor with whom Hero Shopper has a contractual arrangement; and
- it is necessary to investigate or facilitate a transaction on your behalf.
Hero Shopper will not send your personal information outside Australia unless it is authorised by law and Hero Shopper is satisfied that the recipient of the personal information has adequate data protection arrangements in place.
Marketing and your personal information
Hero Shopper uses personal information to provide services and products that may be of interest to you. Hero Shopper may contact you by email, text message, phone or by post to advise you of program benefits and promotions. If you receive a marketing message from us, you can opt-out by following the instructions in that message.
In general, Hero Shopper uses personal information for marketing for the following purposes:
- to communicate offers relating to services and products that may be of interest to you
- to advise how to best use our service
- to develop processes, products and services to better meet your needs
- for our internal research and data analytics. In these instances, the data will be aggregated and de-identified before it is disclosed to third parties.
It is our policy not to sell or pass any personal information to any other organisations (outside our group companies) unless Hero Shopper is required to do so for fraud prevention and detection. Hero Shopper will never sell or rent your personal information to anyone else for their marketing purposes without your consent.
What are cookies and why does Hero Shopper use them?
A cookie is a piece of data stored on a user's computer hard drive, containing information about that user. A cookie can only be accessed across the Internet by the website that placed it there. Cookies are used by Hero Shopper to help us improve the content and functioning of our website.
Why does Hero Shopper record IP Addresses?
When a user joins Hero Shopper, our systems may record their IP address. In the event that Hero Shopper detects fraud or abuse of our program or our website and systems, Hero Shopper may use the IP address of the offender to take appropriate action against them. Ultimately this ensures greater protection for you and your personal information.
What is "spam" and does Hero Shopper send it?
The widely accepted definition of "spam" is unsolicited commercial email, or in other words, email of a commercial nature that the recipient does not want. Hero Shopper does not send "spam". This is because when you join Hero Shopper, you agree to allow us to send to you commercial advertising that is relevant to the product and services Hero Shopper offers.
Is our website secure?
Hero Shopper appreciates that you may have concerns in relation to the confidentiality and security of your personal information on the internet. Therefore, Hero Shopper has implemented systems to ensure that your personal information is secure and confidential when you access our website or My Profile.
When Hero Shopper collects your personal information over the internet, it proceses it via our secure server utilising encryption technology. This helps to protect against unauthorised access to your personal information over the Internet. Your stored personal information is also protected from unauthorised access through the use of multiple firewalls, secure passwords and sign-in processes.
While our website and My Profile rely on the highest levels of technology to ensure maximum security, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure.
To assist us in protecting your personal information, it is your responsibility to keep your access passwords confidential at all times, to destroy any documentation Hero Shopper sends to you containing your access passwords and to ensure you log out properly when you leave your computer and take any other appropriate steps to ensure security of your information
How can you access your personal information?
You may access your personal information at any time by emailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the event that you make a request to access personal information that has been archived, Hero Shopper may charge you a fee. The fee will be discussed with you prior to us actioning your request being actioned. Hero Shopper is unable to give you access to your personal information if Hero Shopper is prevented by law or if access would reveal personal information of another person.
Any questions about our policy?
You may also obtain further information about privacy (including general privacy information, answers to frequently asked questions and links to the 10 National Privacy Principles) on the Office of the Privacy Commissioner’s website at www.privacy.gov.au. Alternatively, you may write to The Office of the Privacy Commissioner, GPO Box 5218, Sydney, New South Wales, 2001.
Last updated July 10, 2017